Monday, July 23, 2007

Thomas & Friends™ Lead Poisoning Hazard

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07212.html

snopes info - http://www.snopes.com/info/recalls.asp


Last night Lawrence told me about a recall on Thomas the Tank engine. I'm pretty upset. Seems lead testing should be part of normal quality control procedures for a company of this reputation, charging what they charge! Check this link, it's mostly red and yellow painted things. We have 3 of the items.

I am not usually an alarmist, and you have never received one of these mass emails from me regarding some 'big scare’. I am very concerned about the Thomas the Tank engine recall and want to be sure everyone I know who has the toys knows about this lead poisoning hazard. We have 3 of the recalled items. I bought these for my boys when Silas was born, the most oral baby ever.

Silas has been the mouthiest baby I’ve had, everything has gone in! He has eaten inordinate amounts of dirt and we’ve mostly written it off to being so oral. I was going to have him tested for lead about a year/6 months ago because he ate so much dirt. He used to pick up glods of dirt and take bites out of them, like it was food, and not just when people were watching! Our doc said his chance for lead exposure wasn’t very likely since our house was built in 1991. But eating so much organic material can be a sign of Pica, to help an upset stomach feel better? I never did get him tested, I was waiting and seeing if the dirt eating would let up. It has slowed down to an occasional dessert of dirt, rather than a mainstay.

No comments: