Monday, April 16, 2007

Reviewing blood test numbers

I'm going through my last blood test numbers with a fine tooth comb and my buddy Google. I came accross some interesting results. My AST is low, less than 15, normal range 16-41. All I can find is for elevated AST. Bilirubin, direct is less than 0.1, normal range 0.1-0.3. Again only high info. Alkaline phosphatese 132, normal 29-111. Below is what I found regarding Alkaline phosphatese.

Causes of high alkaline phosphatase include bone growth, healing fracture, acromegaly, osteogenic sarcoma, liver or bone metastases, leukemia, myelofibrosis, and rarely myeloma. Alkaline phosphatase is used as a tumor marker. http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/pr014700.htm

Tumor markers are substances, usually proteins, that are produced by the body in response to cancer growth or by the cancer tissue itself. Some tumor markers are specific, while others are seen in several cancer types. Many of the well-known markers are also seen in non-cancerous conditions. Consequently, these tumor markers are not diagnostic for cancer.

Will check with my NP tomorrow to get new bloodwork to go over, and to find out my next step. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Gebesq said...

Hi Heidi and the rest of the Aquino clan. Asa you can see I have finally found your blog. I will get back to you from time to time.
I moved from the dialysis center 9in Chino to the one that is two blocks away from our house. I was able to get new glasses. Dad