Thursday, July 10, 2008

Labeling, Grammie Style

In the quest for a cleaner home, consolidating... I've come to the realization, with a tiny kitchen, assigning colors for cups, giving little people ownership of said cup, will seriously cut down on our dish load. So mom, you were onto a good idea there. Hope this gives you that sense of credit and appreciation due you. In my defense, I must add: "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man (in my case, a woman), I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11

I may have made mention of her seemingly neurotic need to label and color code us a time or twenty growing up. Well, I didn't know anyone else who did it, and so thoroughly too! Classic childhood reasoning.

I have remained unimpressed in spite my children's awe of Grammies wielding of The Engraver, permanently marking their toothbrushes, the requests for labeling from the kids themselves. Resistance is futile. I have been assimilated! I had to slowly arrive here, seeing loads of cups going through the washing cycle, and never having enough. Not at the engraver level, but color coding, labeling your Tupperware when you bring it to church....

It bears mentioning that I was returned once by an adult using my bracelet, the evidence of my uncoolness. My first day of kindergarten I went home with a new friend, Veronica. Call first? No one ever told me to call if I stopped at a friends house to play.

On a side note, leave comments, don't be shy. I enjoy hearing from you guys. I hear occasionally, not usually in print, but love to know someone is reading my ramblings.

3 comments:

Paula said...

You know I read you at least weekly. I have enjoyed the more numerous posts and photos. Your boys remind me of my spider men. It is such a joy to climb a wall. I used to do it myself!

Funny how Moms ideas sometimes make sense. It can be hard to break through the feeling that it brought you as a child and see the usefulness of it. You are growing in that way and I hope to, too.

Lisa said...

I didn't realize that you thought your ID bracelet was uncool... I was quite envious of it when we were kids--I didn't know anyone else who had one.

Aquino Clan said...

That's what I'm talking about. Anything that made me different, and there where quite a few things. How many other kids family's ate homeade bread. Now, I know many wish they could, as adults. I wanted white bread, balogne, whatever I didn't have.