Friday, June 15, 2007

After the Pre-surgery appointment

Ok, first things first. I just read the Pet-scan report. The biggest thing I was hoping for was for the mass to have shrunk.The measurments of the tumor can vary based on how it is measured, but...... new measurments are: 6.3 x 5!!! Origional measurements were 6.6 x 4.6 x 9cm in the MRI from March 21. similar measurements from March 12, 8.4 x 4.1 x 5.4 Variation based on exactly where is measured, who is measuring. The most recent report says not significant change, but I'll tell you, to me this is significant. There has been much work, prayer and more in my life that I attribute this change to.

On to what you're wondering about, the Thoracic surgeon consultation today. This was a pre-surgery meeting. She answered 90% of my questions before I even asked. I did ask for the tumor, or if I could at least see it. She said that was a first for her:) She said she'd try to take a picture, if the equipment was working, if the wind blew from the west at 50 knots and it rained at 10a. So I doubt I will get to see my companion. So long little guy. Thanks for what you taught me, glad you're out of my life.

We're looking at the next 2 weeks or so. THis is very soon! The goal and expectation is that this will be thoroscopic surgery, like laporoscopic, but in the chest cavity. There would be 3-4 incisions, a bit larger than with laporoscopic due to bones and the torque of the instruments. There is a chance of numbness in those areas, we'll pray not permanent. Other misc. info, not for the fainthearted:) Main surgery will be from my side. The largest incision will be on the back, and is expected to be the removal site.

Hospital stay will be 3-5 days if all goes according to plan above, and if neurosurgeon is called in, will require more things not for the faint hearted. I love all this biology stuff, so if you are interested, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to share all the future gore with you:)

If thoroscopic doesn't work out, hospital stay would be 5-7 days. Healing time at home for either way will be approx 2 weeks on pain meds.

At this point, the Lord has been so good to me. He has given me so much grace. I pray the grace my children need to not just survive while I'm gone, but to thrive will be given to them as well.

I plan to 'read' lots of books on tape/cd. So if you have some cd's, books, music you'd like to share with me for my enrichment at the hospital stay, I would be very blessed by them. Be sure to put you name on them so you will get them back afterward. My mind will be drugged out a bit to remember what came from whom. If you have a tape/Cd player walkman/ earphones I can borrow please let me know. This will make the hospital stay a better time. Almost a trip to Calistoga, ok not even close:) But much better.

Lawrence, Caleb, Malachi and Silas are going to have the toughest time with this experience I think, so please remember them in prayer, and if your local, and so inclined, drop them a meal with-out cheese:) My biggest challenge with the surgery is leaving my family without me. A blessing and a challenge. I have been going out on my own much more lately, so I'm not completly without practice as you may think.

As soon as I have a date for surgery, I will post it. This will be at UCSF. I will post all info, address, phone number, etc... I welcome unannounced visitors, calls, meals etc... while I'm in the hospital. I doubt I'll be too busy in the middle of my gimping around:)

No comments: