Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Sky is Falling!

Some of you avocado lovers out there may be distressed to know, the fruit is falling off the tree now, unripe with bird bite marks. Being inexperienced with avo's this fresh, I'm wondering if they fall off, if they can be ripened? So far no luck. They actually rattle when you shake them, at least one did.... Is there a special trick ripening these ones, magic perhaps?

Oh well, I don't like avocado's myself any way. There is so much fruit in the trees, just maybe some will be spared and last to harvest time, whenever that may be. These are smooth skinned, not Hoss.

I signed up for a facebook account, so I could copy some pictures of my sister for my blog, when she was thinking of going to the DR Congo. This thing has a life of it's own. I find myself drawn to it through emails. So-in-so added you as a friend on Facebook.

I joined my high school network. Bringing back memories. For me, mostly socially awkward ones. I was so overwhelmed with life at home then, I couldn't handle more than one friend at a time. I remember most of the names but most of my memories of them are from classes. I see group prom pictures, no wonder they enjoyed high school, they hung out together. I tell you, high school has very few fond memories for me. I feel a sadness for the lost girl I was then.

I felt the most comfortable in my choir class, that was mixed grades, freshmen to seniors. My choir teacher came to my wedding 15 years ago. I've heard her health declined, dementia. I didn't hear after that.

Isn't it interesting the power your childhood has. I have grown, had children of my own, and yet, I can feel the feelings I felt then when I think of high school.

Did you know, I had no idea I was an extrovert until I was in high school. I know, some of you are checking to see you're reading the right blog:) Maybe that's why I have a big presence now. I worked hard to be invisible in high school, probably life before that too.

Thank God for his grace! It is often said, with little thought I think, Oh, to be younger again. I would never go back. I'll take the physical changes, the grays, and whatever else comes. The teens and 20's were fraught with so much emotional challenge. The thirties came with a sense of self, being comfortable with who I am, and appreciating my uniqueness. Sounds like a psyc book. For me, it just gets better. 50's are the new 30's, so I'm still a spring chicken!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Hello Sister spring chicken! Looking backis painful, but hopefully with our older and wiser selves, we can see more clearly what was really up, and not just judging ourselves harshly. It's so funny about the timing here. We are connected in so many ways. Extrovert! Neat.