Friday, February 20, 2009

The Elimination Diet........dun dun dun

Wow, I've got a lot on my plate right now. We're nearing the end of the bathroom shower re-do, praise God for that! Removing the mold, healthier, and much nicer looking too, solid surface, I really detest cleaning tiles.

The hot water has turned tepid. All showers and baths are luke-warm. Why? Probably the water heater, I hope it doesn't blow before the problem is fixed. Warm, not hot water happened yesterday, and today, a little leak has sprung under the kitchen sink! It's raining, it's pouring.

And the looming challenge, the kids and I are starting an elimination diet tomorrow. This is challenging! We have been progressing toward being a gluten free home, less stressful that way. I thought the elimination diet wouldn't be toooo difficult. It's short term, but we rely on eggs as fast food. Corn, tortillas, chips, popcorn, corn meal mush..... I need to whine before I have to buck up and be the mom. Sugar, maple syrup, gluten, dairy, peanut butter, vinegar, beef, pork, shellfish. I know we can do this, it just feels overwhelming right now.

Also baseball practice is starting next week, so my schedule is going from tight to jam packed. The benefits we will reap will be worth the sacrifice, but sacrifice is what it is, sacrifice.

I must add that I'm in a fabulous food coop, however, we get what we get. It is the surplus, expired things, misc. from Trader Joe's and other local places. Lots of produce, dairy, often marinated meat(usually has gluten). God knows what we need and has continued to be faithful to care for us, so I will share how he takes care of us over the next few weeks.

This diet is 7-10 days before we start adding back foods. Add 1 food, wait 3 days before adding the next. This will be an experience I will appreciate and look back at fondly after it's finished I'm sure, looking at the work aspect from this side of it is like waiting for a shot.

On the upside, Malachi is beginning to read short sentences after a year of speech therepy and working on phonics and blending. We hadn't actually began to read words yet, when he started doing a workbook, 'Explode the Code'. He has in 1 1/2 weeks gotten through 3/4ths of the book! He is so excited about being able to do this book. I am too. Caleb is reading early readers, and while not such an eager reader or writer, is moving at his own pace. His reading has moments of smoothness, where it is not halted and sounded out. As a home school mom, this is a big deal. The tangible evidence visible to the outside world.

No comments: