Saturday, November 15, 2008

Family Heritage

I was going through my dad's pictures and I came across an album. This album went back into the late 1800's. Started with a few pictures of my dad's adopted dad. Newborn, 1 year, and around 8 years old, plus others. There were cool pictures in 1911 or so with some other kids, period dress, obviously. I wanted to grab on to this feeling of heritage, having this legacy, this piece of history..... the darkness of what I know about this man clouded the desire to lose myself in this grasp at preserving legacy. The more I thought about it, the sadder I was to realize this was not my family, (my dad was adopted and the adopted father was evil). After pouring through this album, thinking, I don't know if he really was evil.... I came to the last professional photo, opened it like a gift, and found my Grandpa Straubs family(My moms dad with his brothers and sisters and parents). It was as if God was saying, "This is your heritage, you have a tangible piece of legacy here."

No comments: