Saturday, November 22, 2008

Celiacs Disease

Silas may have Celiacs disease. I'm still reeling from what I've found out. I had a suspicion, enough to get the blood work done. Had all of the kids allergy tested for the basics, and only Silas checked for Celiacs. He's had an ongoing tummy ache for a while. I thought I ran down the source, and it was a hidden dairy, but now.....

He has tested positive for the gliadin antibody. Normal range for IGA 11-17, he's 16. Normal range for IGG, 11-17 also, he's 24. I called a friend of mine who has Celiacs, she said it sounds like he's positive. Why am I guessing you ask? I had the Allergist fax me the test results last week, didn't have time to look at it well until today. NO ONE CALLED to tell me he tested positive! How ridiculous is that! Dr's are just people. Just wish they would have looked at the results to notice life changing information should be shared with the patient/parents. OK, that's done, I've got enough to be emotional about without taking that on.

It's Saturday, so I'll have to wait till Monday to call our regular pediatrician. What I wish I'd done is asked the allergists office to send the results immediately to the Ped so she'd have them. Then she would have called if anything was not normal. Future note.

God. Where is he in this. I know 2 people with Celiacs. This is a specific blood test I had to request. The fact it came to my mind to test when I really thought there was a dairy issue. This is really a miracle to find this when he's so healthy, no real big obvious issues. I was watching to see what he was eating before he had a tummy ache for that 1-2 months. Sandwiches, toast. But then I also cut a source of dairy out and he got better.

I was told today that my friend thought she was allergic to dairy but once she cut out gluten, she was able to have dairy again. My hope for Silas is he can enjoy dairy one day. But for now, we have to change some eating habits in the family.

We're all going to get tested when we get back from Oregon. I'm thinking someone else may have it too...... We shall see.

Please keep us in your prayers. Prayers for Gods glory to be revealed through this. For all of the kids and Lawrence and I to be vigilant of gluten. God will reveal how to pray. I'm a bit numb still to know what to ask for.

I am grateful that I nursed a long time. Gluten in the intestines breaks the celia and causes leaky gut, which is when food leaks out of the small intestine. The body then sees it as an enemy and fights it, thus making the person feel a terrible tummy ache.

No comments: